This project allowed me to expand upon videos I’d produced previously for the Department of Cognitive Science at Macquarie University for the unit COGS 101 Delusions And Disorders Of The Mind And Brain.
This unit is designed to provide students with an understanding of the basic cognitive disorders and higher-level delusions that can arise either developmentally or as a result of brain injury. The earlier videos feature a range of interviews with Cognitive Science experts including lecturers, researchers and clinicians. This expanded project would involve a complete renovation of existing lecturer slides and videos, many of which had been shot with less than optimal video production approaches (eg webcam on lecturer’s laptop). My role on this project included critically reviewing existing media approaches as well as consulting, planning, video production, editing, facilitating critical reviews and incorporating feedback.
Initially I worked closely with the Head of Department to develop a number of video samples using chromakey and green screen production approaches. These clips where critically reviewed by the key stakeholders within the department to ensure the production approach would be viable and suitable for their needs.
During production I worked closely, and separately, with over a dozen Cognitive Science academics and researchers across the department to plan and negotiate video production for each topic. Topics include: Overview of Unit, Delusions, Dyslexia, Aphasia, Specific language Impairment, Synaesthesia, Agnosia, Autism, Amnesia, Modelling Delusions, Using Hypnosis, Schizophrenia and Disorders of the Self.
The project generated about 12 hours of video content distributed across approx. 50 video clips embedded into iLearn, Macquarie university’s learning management system. This online unit forms a crucial foundation for students, including those studying the following courses and degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts – Psychology with the degree of Bachelor of Human Sciences with a Major in Cognitive and Brain Sciences
- Bachelor of Human Sciences with a Major in Cognitive and Brain Sciences
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) with the degree of Bachelor of Human Sciences with a Major in Cognitive and Brain Sciences
- Bachelor of Science with a Major in Cognitive and Brain Sciences
- Bachelor of Speech, Hearing and Language Sciences with the degree of Bachelor of Human Sciences with a Major in Cognitive and Brain Sciences